Thursday 29 October 2009

charge Batteries

Cordless Drill Batteries
To all those nay-sayers insisting that using NiMh batteries as a substitute for NiCads is dangerous or will give poor results. I just want to post my Actual Experience compared with your 'theories'. It's been two years since I performed this mod, and I have had NO troubles. The batteries have out-performed the original batteries in terms of run-time and overall life of the cells themselves. I have not recorded test data on the run-time, but I would estimate that the run-time is about twice that of the originally battery pack. Both of the original NiCad packs refuse to hold a charge for any reasonable amount of time within a year of purchase (that is what inspired the mod).(Cordless Drill Battery) I mentioned my accidental reverse polarity charging accident in another comment below (over a year ago), but even with that abuse, the same NiMh batteries are still going strong.As for charging the batteries - everyone has their theory about charging, but I'll say that I've been using the original NiCad charger without any modification. My reason is two-fold. first: The original inspiration for this mod was to SAVE money and get longer run-time on the drill. (My $24 investment has been successful )nest: The supplied Nicad Charger was designed to charge a lower capacity battery, so it's charge rate is significantly LOWER that the what the higher capacity NiMh batteries require. I estimated that the charge time needs to be increased to about 28 hours due to the lower charge rate.I have not been very diligent to un-plug the charger after the required charging period, but still the battery pack lives on. (It's not even warm while charging).Sure, I could acquire a NiMh charger and get a more efficient charge, but so far, it has met my needs (Cordless Drill Battery). If you really need a quick charge then I would recommend investing a NiMh charger. The NimH chargers have special circuitry to determine when the charge is complete and shut off the charger.As for potential danger... I can understand concern here - we've all heard stories about laptop batteries causing fires. You certainly don't want to burn down your house on any project, but since the battery and charger don't even get warm, I must assume that nothing is being stressed beyond normal use. I would be cautious and monitor the first attempt at charging - and always keep the charger away from flammables - perhaps in the middle of a concrete floor.Or... If you want... you can pay top dollar and get a new lousy NiCad battery pack (Cordless Drill Battery) - or discard the whole thing and buy a shiny new one, but you wouldn't need an instructable for that! )
offer:
laptop batteries, laptop AC/DC adapters, battery chargers, camcorder batteries, digital camera batteries, PDA batteries, power tool batteries, 2-way radio batteries, GPS batteries, MP3 player batteries, iPod batteries, DVD player batteries, game player batteries, ink cartridges, laser toner,universal battery

1 comment:

  1. Online shopping for laptop batteries, laptop AC/DC adapters, battery chargers, camcorder batteries, digital camera batteries, PDA batteries, power tool batteries, 2-way radio batteries, GPS batteries, MP3 player batteries, iPod batteries, DVD player batteries, game player batteries, ink cartridges, laser toner and more

    ReplyDelete